Wednesday, April 4, 2018

What about Him?: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - April 4, 2018


What About Him?
John 21:20-25 

Key Verse: “When Peter saw him, he asked, 'Lord, what about him?'(21:21 NIV)”

Sometimes both of my daughters get in trouble at the same time. Inevitably one more so than the other. While I am dealing with one, she will pipe up, “but what about her? Why is she also not in trouble?” The answer always is, “that is none of your concern.” We are all the one sister, we all want to know, “What about about her?” As if our own relationship with God is not enough of a concern. We want to know what God thinks about those around us. We want to see how we compare. Perhaps we want to know that we are doing better than others are, or perhaps we want to see if we measure up to them. Does Jesus love us as as much as he loves “the disciple whom he loved?” Jesus' answer is, “So what if I do? It is none of your concern.” When it comes to how we measure up to those around us, God tells us it is none of our concern. Our only concern is ourselves and our relationship with God. We work to be the person God is calling us to be. That is just about all we can handle.

Prayer:
Lord, it is so easy to be distracted by those around me, to focus on other people and their walks with God, and worry about how I am in comparison to them. Help me to work on my walk with you. Help me to focus on loving you and being the person you have called me to be. Help me to stop comparing myself to those around me, trying to see how I measure up next to them. Help me to hear the words that Christ said to Peter in this passage. Help me to always look to you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment