Sunday, April 22, 2018

"My Chains Fell Off": Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - Acts16:16-34 - April 22, 2018


Acts 16:16-34

Key Verse: “Her masters’ hopes of wealth were now shattered, so they grabbed Paul and Silas and dragged them before the authorities at the marketplace. (Acts 16:19 NLT)

When we sing “my chains fell off,” from How Great Thou Art, we are referencing this story. When we think of prisoners being set free, we think of all the times when followers of Christ were in prison and were literally set free. But the true prisoners in this passage are not Paul and Silas. First there is the slave girl who was set free. She was a slave to her masters, a slave to the spirit inside her and a slave to the task of giving fortunes day and day out. She was released from her bondage to the latter two, making her useless to the former. But she is not the only one set free, the jailer is set free as well. Because of the miracles occurring all around him, he seeks to know how to be saved. He is also set free from bondage to sin. Being set free comes in many shapes and forms. Whatever it is that is enslaving us, Jesus is about setting us free, so we can be free to worship him and live in relationship with him, so that we are free to be the people he is calling us to be.

Prayer:
There are so many things that entrap and enslave in this world. I can see so many people around me who need to be set free. Lord, help me to see those around me who need me to help free them, as Paul and Silas worked to free the people in this passage. Also, Lord, help me to see the ways in which I am enslaved by the demons of this world. Help me to turn to you so that I too might be saved, that I too might be set free. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment