Sunday, April 8, 2018

That You May Believe: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - April 7, 2018


That You May Believe
John 20:19-31 
Key Verse: But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name(20:31 NIV).”

The disciples believed. Thomas believed. Jesus praises those who will not have seen him, and yet will believe. John's gospel concludes saying that all this was done, so that we may come to believe. Jesus came, he taught, he performed miracles, died and rose again, all for one purpose, so that humanity can come to believe. John writes so that his readers might believe. So much done for us, for our faith. All that happened, all that Jesus did, all that Jesus said, all that transpired while he walked this earth, his death and yes his resurrection was so that we might come to faith and so that others might come to faith. As believers, in Jesus Christ our call is not simply to believe, but to follow in the gospel writer and work to do what we can so that others might come to believe. Our call is not only to faith, but it is to share that faith, to infect others with our belief. Our lives are to be continually lived in such a way that we, like John, can share the gospel with those who we know, in hope that they too might come to believe.

Prayer:
Lord, I live and work among people, people whom you love. Lord, teach me how to share you with them. Show me to speak to those around me about you and what you have done for me. Help me to write the gospel of Jesus Christ as John did, but not with pen, but instead with my words, with my actions, in and through my relationships with my friends and neighbors, with my colleagues and the acquaintances I have in my every day life. Teach me and show me how to be one such as this. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment