Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Holiness Then and Now: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - Acts 15:1-11 - April 24, 2018


Holiness Then and Now
Acts 15:1-11 
Key Verse: “Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are (Acts 15:10-11 NIV).”

I was once lectured about the evil of playing Hearts because we were using playing cards. Christians have always been concerned about what a good and holy Christian does. Before cards it was the showing of ankles, whether or not one should go to the barber. In their time and culture these rules made sense, but things changes and the rules don’t make sense anymore.  The adult me can look back and understand the gentleman and his problem with my cards, but  as a teenager, sitting at a picnic table at Church camp, the reasons behind his aversion to the cards was lost and in fact null and void. Holiness of heart and life looks different from generation to generation. One generation it is collar and sleeve length, for the next it is skirt and hair length. But a life lived wholly and completely given over to God, always looks the same. It is a life marked by the fruits of the Spirit; a life that is lived for others, for the edification of the Church, a life that is continually reaching into this world with the love of Jesus, seeking to draw others into relationship with God.
Prayer:
Lord God, I sometimes get caught up fussing over the wrong things when it comes to living my life for you. Teach me to love as you love. Give me a heart of compassion that reaches out to mend the brokenness in the world and set my heart ablaze with the desire to show people what it means to be in relationship with you. This is the kind of holiness you show me, in the life of Christ; make it the kind of holiness I live out. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment