Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Hearing it Again: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - Acts 7:1-22


Hearing it Again
Acts 7:1-22 
Key Verse: “To this he replied: “Brothers and fathers, listen to me! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham while he was still in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Harran 7:1-22 NIV)

Why did Stephen tell this story to the members of the Sanhedrin? This would not have been a story they did not know. This would have been a story they had heard over and over again throughout their lives. It is one of the foundational narratives of the Jewish people and as leaders in the Jewish community; they would have known the story of Abraham, pretty well. They would have pointed to Abraham as one of the founders of their faith. When these men thought about what faith looked like, they would have looked to the life of Abraham as a model. When Stephen chose this story, as part of his speech to the council, he was retelling a story they knew well. The story of Abraham’s faith is not like your grandfather’s story about his bum knee. You can never hear it too much. We can always look to Abraham when we want to see what kind of people God wants us to be. Here Stephen highlights Abraham’s unbridled faith when he simply went where God called him to go and took God at God’s word. Walking in the faith footsteps of Abraham is something to which we should all strive.


Prayer:
Lord, sometimes it is hard to come to passages of scripture I know well. Each time I come to scripture I am coming hoping to hear your voice. Help me to always come to scripture with fresh eyes and to hear your message with fresh ears. Help my heart to never become callused to the scriptures I have heard before. Each day, each scripture has something new to teach me. I always want to learn and grow. Speak to me every time I hear or read your word. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment