Friday, April 13, 2018

My Desires vs God's Desire: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - Acts 7:44-53


My Desires vs God's Desire
Acts 7:44-53
Key Verse: “'Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool.
Could you build me a temple as good as that?' asks the Lord. 'Could you build me such a resting place (Acts 7:49 NLT)?'”


Stephen continues, again showing when our focus is on something it should not be, that it is not on God. He recounts how desperately the people, David and Solomon included wanted to build a temple for God. God did not need a temple. The Heavens, the earth and all that God had created was temple enough for God. God dwelt in all creation, God did not need a dwelling place. But they wanted to do this thing for God but it was not really what God wanted or needed. Those who persecuted the prophets and even those who killed Jesus thought they were doing what God wanted and needed, but they are called stubborn for this. How many times have we worked contrary to what God wants or needs, while convincing ourselves that what we are doing is what God wants. It is easy sometimes to conflate our desires with those of God. We must seek God prayerfully ready to hear the answer whatever it might be to discern that we are not putting our wants and desires in God's mouth and in stead carefully seek God's will above our own in all things.

Prayer:
Lord, I seek your will in all things. It is my deepest desire to do the things you are calling me to do. I come looking for your guidance. Help me to never take my wants, and my desires and convince myself they are what you are asking of me. Help me to never build temples with actions, with ministries, or with my words convincing myself they are what you want and need when they are nothing more than my own thoughts and ideas. Help me to hear your voice and to do your will in all things. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment