Friday, April 20, 2018

Hanging with Strange Birds: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - Acts 10:23b-33 - April 21, 2018


Hanging with Strange Birds
Acts 10:23b-33


Key Verse: “Peter told them, “You know it is against our laws for a Jewish man to enter a Gentile home like this or to associate with you. But God has shown me that I should no longer think of anyone as impure or unclean. (Acts 10:28 NLT)

Birds of a feather flock together, bad character corrupts good character. These were the things I was told when I was young. I only had Christian friends. I only did things with people from my church. I never did anything with non-church people. My parents did not have friends from work or from the neighborhood with whom they spent time. It is easy to think this is how God calls us to live but God calls us out into the world. God calls us to go to Cornelius; to people outside the Church, who do not know Jesus. We care called, like Peter, to hang with strange birds, to speak the message of God to the people in our lives. God does not merely call the called, God seeks to bring the people of our neighborhoods, the people we meet each day, into relationship. God tells us to go. We cannot simply hang out with each other and simply expect people to come to know our God. Many times we are the only Jesus the people around us know. We have to go to them, listen to them and speak to them.

Prayer:
Lord, God help me to go to different birds. I want my good character to corrupt their bad character. I want you in me to rub off on them. Draw me into friendship, in to relationship with people who do not know you, so they can get to know you through me, so that they may know who you and how you can change their lives. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment