Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 15


Psalm 15:1-5

Key Verses: 14:1-3

“Who can live in your tent, Lord? Who can dwell on your holy mountain? The person who lives free of blame, does what is right, and speaks the truth sincerely; who does no damage with their talk, does no harm to a friend, doesn’t insult a neighbor;” CEB

A person who walks with God; who belongs to Jesus will reflect the character of God. Jesus told us this looks like loving God and loving others. In seeking to do what is right we are to seek the good of those around us. Even as we seek truth we should not do so for our own gain or to malign or do harm to another. Our words should be words which build others up. The words we should say, should neither be malicious gossip, nor those which demean, belittle or dehumanize other human beings. When we say, “I believe;” when we call ourselves a Christian, our actions, what we do with ourselves, how we live our lives, what we say, and how we act should match those of Jesus Christ. When we do this we are dwelling with God, and being the people Jesus calls us to be.

 

Thing to Think on

How can the truth become something that does damage?

How do we seek truth sincerely then? What does that look like for you in your life?

In what ways do you use your words to bring harm to others?

What can you do today to seek good for a friend or a neighbor?

 

A Prayer for Today

Lord, as I am seeking to live a righteous Christian life, it would be easy to become focused on my own inner life. How good and pious I am being. Sometimes it is easy to seek truth and how it can benefit me. Help me to look beyond myself, help me to see how I treat those around me as an extension of my relationship with you. I cannot be the person you call me to be if in my righteous living I do not seek the good of those around me. In my desire to do right by you, ignite in me a desire to do right by all others in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment