Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 21


Psalm 21:1-13
Key Verses:21:6
“Surely you have granted him unending blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence.” NIV

The psalmist is asking for good things to happen to the king. The psalmist speaks on behalf of another, asking for the king’s life to be filled with joy, with riches, that his heart’s desire will come to him, on and on and on. Sometimes it is easy to be focused on ourselves. To think first of the things we want or need. But here the psalmist models an unselfishness in prayer. I am sure the psalmist concerns and needs, but they are put aside, so to bring another before God in prayer. Even as we have cares, concerns, wants and needs, we should always be bringing others before God in prayer. As Christians we should follow the unselfish example of put before us in this psalm, lifting others up, seeking the good of those around us each day.  

Thing to Think on

What does your prayer time normally look like?
How much time do you pray for good things for yourself and your loved ones?
How much time do you spend praying for others, outside of your family and those you hold dear?
What are the wants and needs of your neighbors?
Take time today to pray for your neighbors, that God will fill their lives with good things.
Have you ever prayed this fervently for your political leaders?
          Take time to pray for your leaders, for their good, that God will give them strength, good things, that they will be blessed with joy and with rich blessings.


A Prayer for Today

Lord, help me to see the good of others. Show me the needs of those around me to be sensitive to the cares of my neighbors, of others in my community. Help me to selflessly seek the good of others, that they may be blessed even when I am not. Also help me to desire the best for those who govern me, help me to pray for good to fill their lives. It is easy to be focused on myself, the things I would like to happen, the things I need, and to spend my prayer time on myself and on those I hold close. Help me to expand my concern to include people whose lives may not directly touch my own. Help me to turn the focus off of myself an instead focus on others. - Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment