Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 19




Psalm 19:1-14

Key Verses: 19:12-14
“None of us know our faults. Forgive me when I sin without knowing it. Don’t let me do wrong on purpose, Lord, or let sin have control over my life. Then I will be innocent, and not guilty of some terrible fault. Let my words and my thoughts be pleasing to you, LORD, because you are my mighty rock and my protector.” CEV

It is our desire to live lives which God would find blameless. Yet there are times when we continue to fail in ways we do not yet know. Daily as we seek to draw closer to God we should continue to examine our lives to see how we can more perfectly reflect the life of Christ with our own. This means being humble enough to see where we have failed God and failed others, when we did not even realize it at the time. Even as we seek to be holy as God is holy we can find we are participating in systematic evils which we did not previously see. Or we realize our well intentioned words or actions actually did harm to those around us. As we seek to live lives of Christian perfection God will bring these failings to us, so we can choose to act or speak differently in the future. Part of living the holy life is making these changes in our lives bit by bit so that over time we more perfectly reflect the holiness of God in our daily lives. 

Thing to Think on
In this Psalm the psalmist speaks of the goodness of God, God’s perfection, the rightness of God’s laws, what are some of the things about God that you appreciate today?
In what ways has God brought goodness into your life?
In what ways do you fail to be the person God is calling you to be?
Ask God to show you the ways you have inadvertently brought harm to others, or have otherwise sinned in unknown ways?

A Prayer for Today
Lord, God I want to be holy as you are holy. It is my desire to be who you are calling me to be each day. Help me to grow and change so that each day I more closely reflect your character in my words and my actions. Help me to humbly take correction and as I seek to be more perfect each day. Show me the ways I have failed in the past so that today I can be more holy than I was yesterday and help me to continue to do better and be better so that tomorrow I will more perfectly reflect who you are in this world. - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment