Monday, May 7, 2018

Whatever Happens. . . : Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - May 7, 2018


Whatever Happens. . . 
Philippians 1:18b-30
Key Verse: “Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ (Philippians 1:27a NIV)

Things happen. Nothing is going our way. The car broke down. We lost our job. We are so deep in debt we don’t know how we will ever get out. People do things that hurt us. They betray us; let us down. Those that we love turn on us in hatred, anger or malice. Someone we look up to turns out to be a fraud. The leaders we trust fail us. Our government disappoints us. Paul tells us that no matter what is happening, no matter how much the people around us are acting poorly, in general or towards us, that these things do not dictate our actions. It is the love of God, the image of Christ that regulates how we act. It is easy to respond in like to people who hurt us. It is easy to react poorly to the events in our lives. But as Christians we are called beyond gut reactions, and living by emotional responses. We are called to be reflections of Jesus, of the very character of God, in this world. It is not always easy to do this but we are often the only bit of Jesus those around us ever see.

Prayer:
Jesus, Sometimes I am angry. Sometimes I am disappointed. Sometimes I am frustrated or simply overwhelmed. Lord, I confess, that it is my desire to act and respond from places of hurt, to allow my emotional responses dictate my actions and my attitude. Help me to pauce, take a deep breath and rely on you and allow your goodness, your grace, your mercy to burn through my instinctual reactions and instead act in ways that that show those around me who you are, instead. Help me to better reflect your nature, your character in my daily life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment