Friday, May 11, 2018

Joy In All Things: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - May 11, 2018









Joy In All Things
Philippians 4:2-9
Verse: “Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! (Philippians 4:4 NIV)”
Nobody can be happy at all times. Happiness is something that is dependent upon mood and circumstances. But finding joy in life, in all things, in all circumstances is a choice. We can choose to find joy in the world around us. Even as we sat in the hospital while my Father was dying my mother found joy in the beauty of the warm Spring Sun. Even when the circumstances of life are difficult to deal with, we can choose to find the small joys in life; the warmth of the Sun, the beauty of a flower, the kindness of a friend. As Christians we are not called to be emotionless automatons, who are not affected by the sorrows and pain that too often come in this life, but we are called to find joy in all things. We are called to be people who rejoice always in all things, finding the beauty and wonder in God’s world. Seeing the great, as well as the small joys God brings into this world, rejoicing in these things.  We may not be able to choose the circumstances of our lives which bring happiness but we can in all things choose joy.

Prayer:
Lord, as I move through this day, help me to see the joy and the beauty that surrounds me. Things may not be great. Today may be hard, difficult to make it through, and although I may be hurting or struggling, help me to see the ways in which you fill my day with small blessings. Help me to see the beauty which surrounds me. Help me to find joy in this day and rejoice in the ways you fill me day with good things. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment