Monday, May 7, 2018

God of Our Own Making - An Accidental Devotion for Monday


 God of our Own Making
So I accidentally wrote two devotions for this morning. Save this one for later or spend extra time with God this morning. 

Key Verse: “Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill (Acts 1:29 NIV).”

We all know that we are not to make idols for ourselves out of gold or silver. We all know the first commandment. We know better. Then there is the sermon about how money or our job, or the tv can become an idol for us. We are well aware that this is a pitfall some of us can fall into. But we know better than to do that as well. The statement here is a little different, it is about what we think about God, “we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone.” Is God like an object? Do we act as if God is an object? Are we thinking about God as if God is something we have made, something we can manipulate, control, move around according to our will? Do we form God into whatever image we like? Are we forming God into our desired image, making God do, say, be the things we believe God should do, say, or be? Are we making a god of our own liking and calling that God? Are we conforming God to our image, instead of allowing God to transform us into the image of God?

Prayer:
Lord, God maker of the universe, show me the truth of what I think and what I believe. Am I worshiping you for who you truly are, or am I shaping you into a god that I find easier or more palatable to worship? Lord, I want to worship you for who you are. I do not want to make a god that I like, that I think is right, that seems to be what you should be and worship that instead of you. Show me you, let me see you for who you are and let me worship you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment