Monday, January 4, 2021

Manna for Today: Psalm 64

 



Psalm 64:1-10

Key Verse: 64:1

Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint;

    preserve my life from the dread enemy. (NRSV)

          Listen to me, hear my voice! This is our cry this morning. We all want to be heard. We all want to know that someone, anyone is hearing us, is paying attention. Sometimes we are not particular, we don’t care who is listening, who it is who hear us, as long as there is someone out there who is. At other times we wish for a particular person to hear us, our spouse, our children, our dearest friend. We need them to hear us, to turn to us with advice, compassion, understanding. Being heard by those here on earth is one thing, but to turn the ear of the Almighty, to have the God of creation pay attention to the words we say, to hear our complaint.

          It is hard to listen to my children when is seems they do nothing but complain. It is hard to hear their complaints to hear the truth behind the complaining tone on a mannerisms with which they approach me. Sometimes it seems all they do is complain which makes it increasingly harder to hear them. God is not like me. When we come to God with our complains, our concerns, even when we come like children, whining and demanding. God can still hear the truth in our complaints. God can hear through the inappropriate ways we might present our pleas. God is not offending by the words we use, or the way we make our case. God can hear what it is we mean, what it is we are attempting to say, even when our communications skills are less than stellar and would not hold water with anyone else. We can come to God, knowing God will listen, God will hear our voices, and hear what it is we mean, what it is we need and will know the best way to respond to our complaints, each and every time.

Things to Think on

 If you knew God was listening (because God is) in what ways would you complain to God?

Have you ever just opened up to God without shame or hesitation and told God exactly what you thought, exactly what you wanted?

Do you ever worry about annoying or offending God?

If you knew that you could say anything to God, using any words you pleased, in any manner you pleased, what would you say to God today?

 

A Prayer for Today

Lord, God I hold so much back. Even in my private prayers I speak to you as if someone is listening; as if someone is taking notes; judging me on what I say to you, how I say it. Teach me to open my mouth, and say what I mean to say. To complain to you in whatever manner I see fit, knowing you will hear my voice; knowing my words, my thoughts, my deepest concerns are not shameful, are not wrong, are not inappropriate for you. Let me open my mouth and speak to you all the things I long to say, knowing you are listening, knowing you hear because you are here. Lord, hear my voice this morning. – Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment