Monday, June 7, 2021

Mann for Today: Psalm 84

Psalm 84:1-12

Key Verse: 8

“Lord God of heavenly forces, hear my prayer; listen closely, Jacob’s God!” CEB

So much of this Psalm has made it into hymn and song. Something in this particular Psalm resonated with us on so many levels. How often have we prayed only to feel as if we speak words that dissipate like smoke. We cry out in our hearts and the words hit the ceiling and go no further. Even when we know God hears, there is still something inside which cries out. God, listen closely! God is the God of all things. God is mighty and powerful. God spoke all creation into existence. All that is, is because of God. And that is the God to whom pray. That is the God to whom we sing our praises, lift our petitions and to whom we cry out. Knowing the God of unseen and heavenly forces is listening is daunting, awe-inspiring  and humbling. So we ask for God to lean in, to listen closely, to hear our prayer. Because what a powerful thing it is to know God is listening; to know God hears; to know God understands. Whatever your prayer today, pray it knowing God is listening. God hears you today.  

A Prayer for Today

Lord God, you are magnificent. You are wonderful and good. You give me hope when the chaos is too much, when the pain and heartache threatens to over whelm. Your love fills me. I know your forgiveness, your grace and your mercy. I am thankful for all the ways your redemption is at work in my life and in this world. There is so much I wish to bring to you. I lay out my heartache, my pain, my hurt, my concerns for myself and those around me. I give it all to you. As I pray, I cry out, hear me! Listen to me. Let me see, let me know that you are at work in all of this. Let me know that you hear me, so that I might give praise to you for all the ways you work your redemption in my life, in the lives of those I love and in the world around me. -Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment