Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Manna for Today: Psalm 83

Psalm 83:1-18

Key Verse: 1

“God, don’t be silent! Don’t be quiet or sit still, God,” CEB

Come on God do something! Do not be quiet. Do not sit still. Move! Be active. This is our cry in our frustration, in our anguish. When are hurting. When things are not going our way, we believe God is not working. We do not see how God could be at work right now. When things are not right; when there is so much injustice in the world around, when so many are sick and dying, when we look at the world and it does not see righteousness at work in the world’s events or in the events of our nation, then we want God to work, to do something. Why can we not hear God’s voice right now? Why do we not see God’s love and justice at work in the world, in our nation, in our own lives and the lives of those around us? God must not be moving. God must be silent. So we cry out to God to move, to act, to speak. Yet, God is at work, there is nothing on this earth which is outside the reach of God. Even in the darkness, God is at work. Even when it seems there is nothing but injustice and chaos, God is seeking to set things right and bring order. God is at work. God is working.  Yet sometimes, it is only when we call out to God to not be silent, to break the quietude, to move and act, that is when we are best able to see the hand of God at work in the small ways God is moving. When we call out for God to work, then we are often most able to see how God can work in and through us. Even as God is always at work, it is never wrong to ask God to work, so that we can see God’s work with new eyes.

 

A Prayer for Today

Oh Lord, I cannot see you today. I cannot hear you. Where are you? Are you taking the day off? Are you on mute? Speak loudly to me today, so I can hear you. Help me to see you at work in the world around me. Allow me to see your grace, your love, your righteousness where ever it is in the world around me. Show me who you are today. Help me to see how I can enter into your work. Show me how I can be your voice, and your action, allowing others to see and hear you today. -Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment