Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 37


 

 

Psalm 37:1-40

Key Verses: 37:1-3

“Don’t get upset over evildoers; don’t be jealous of those who do wrong, because they will fade fast, like grass; they will wither like green vegetables. Trust the Lord and do good; live in the land, and farm faithfulness.” CEB


It has been a hard week. I have read and re-read this Psalm over and over again, unsure what to say, unsure how to respond to it, to things happening in my own life as well as in the world around me. It is hard to not be upset over evildoers, and over broken systems which harbor and propagate evil even when “good” people are within them. It is so hard to stand back and watch as weapons, the Psalmist mentions bows and arrows, and it would be easy to think metaphorically about them but there in these last weeks actual weapons have been used against the weak, the needy, as well those who are desperate and rightfully angry.

How do I be still and wait for the Lord, when people are being misused, abused and murdered before our eyes? How can we let go of anger and leave rage behind? Does it really only lead to evil? It sounds like an aphorism from Star Wars! All this has already led to so much suffering.

Yet, in the midst of it all I know I can trust the Lord. Evil will not reign forever. God will act and justice will shine like the noonday sun. Evil will wither and die. God will move and God will act. In the midst of it all one person can feel so small, so insignificant. What can I do? I can do good. I can live in this land and live righteously. I can live the righteousness of God, I can let God’s justice be the rule of all I do. I can examine, my own actions, I can be honest about my own biases. I can plant righteousness, nurture justice and farm faithfulness. I can work to grow the good things of God in my life, and seek in all ways, I can, to bring God’s will to bear on the world around me. What can I do in the face of overwhelming brokenness and evil? I can trust the Lord and can be a farmer all that is good and right and just. 

 

Thing to Think on

Does anything the Psalmist has to say in this passage bother you? What bothers you about it?

What do we do when God promises that evil will not continue but it seems to never die?

What does it look like for you to trust God right now?

What would farm righteousness look like in your life? What does it look like for you to do so today?


A Prayer for Today

         Oh, God, it is too much! Evil continues to infect our world. It has made the very systems which are supposed to protect us sick. There seems to be no cure and the vaccine is too far away. Come bring your miraculous healing to us today. Heal our land, heal our government, and heal our systems. Heal the very systems of our society. We have waited patiently, we have tried to fix this on our own for too many years, it is obvious we cannot do this. Good people on their own cannot do this. Heal our land! Bring your healing, work a miracle among us, oh Lord. I am waiting for you. And as I wait, help me to wait patiently. And I as wait patiently help me to farm goodness and righteousness and your justice in any small way I am able. Show me how I can live your healing in my own life. Lord work your healing in my own heart. - Amen 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment