Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Psalm 121 - Help!




I lift my eyes to the hills. We have all been there. We are in a place and we don't know how to get out.  We don't know how we are going to make it though.

We look around, we seek, we search. We grasp, we claw. We know it can be found, so we keep working to find the relief we need; the help; the strength; the way out. We go to our friends. We go to our pastor. We go to our spouse. We seek help, relief, where ever we think we might possibly find it.
Or perhaps we are even more desperate than that. We are paralyzed, we are unable to move. And all we can do it look. We plead with our eyes, "where is the help I need." There is obviously no help at hand, so we look to the horizon, to the furthest place we can see, the point where the the top of the hill touches the sky.  Is there help somewhere? I can't go look for it. I can't search beyond that point.  But I seek it in the only way I know. I look, and my heart cries out for relief, for help, for strength, for light.

How long did I wait there? How long did I cry out? I felt alone, scared abandoned. And there seemed to be no hope.

But somehow, somewhere I know where from where my help comes. I might not see it around me.  It might not be coming up over the horizon, but my help comes from the LORD.

I know this because God is the one who made all things. The earth and the sky, the stars and the planets and the vast beyond that is so incomprehensible. While I ache, while I groan, my God does not slumber.  God is with me. I know the verse says that God keeps me from all evil. But I know about poetic liberty; and I know although God can not keep me from being here ,where there evil surrounds me; I know when the darkness closes in, God is there.  God hears me when I cry out, God hears me when I weep. God is there when the sun is to high and too hot and God is there when the night is too cold and too dark. My constant companion. No matter how alone I feel, no matter how overwhelmed and out of control. My God does not leave me, does not forsake me, does not allow me to be devoured by the sun or the darkness. The Lord will keep me - no matter how I feel, no matter what is going on, no matter how dark the darkness, no matter how hot the sun. No matter what, I belong to God. God will never give me up, toss me aside, walk away from me. No matter what. God will keep me. I am never too much. I am never too broken; too needy, too afraid, too anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment