Sunday, August 30, 2020

Manna for Today - Psalm 53

 


Psalm 53:1-6

Key Verse: 53:2

“God looks down from heaven on humans to see if anyone is wise, to see if anyone seeks God.” CEB

Wisdom is found in seeking God. As we move through our lives it is easy to think wisdom is found within ourselves in what we do and do not understand. It is easy to equate knowledge to wisdom. I am smart, I understand how things work in this world. I know and understand important things about how to get along. I have skills. The knowledge we learn from books, which we gain through experience and from those around us, is important and valuable. Knowing and understanding the things we can learn in schools to become knowledgeable people in our society is not invaluable. But the knowledge can be found in the world around us is not wisdom.

Wisdom is found in understanding greater truths. God is the greatest truth in this world. To seek after God, to look to God for true understanding, this is where wisdom can be found. To be wise is to know and understand who we are in relation to God. God is the God of the universe and we are God’s people. The truth we seek, the wisdom we seek, can only be found in God. Let us look to God, rely on God, trust God.   

 

 

Things to Think on

What do believe is valuable knowledge which you have? Do you confuse this knowledge with wisdom?

What would you consider wisdom? How does that measure up to the true wisdom which can be found in God?

Since wisdom is found only in God, does that change what you believe to be wise actions?

Since wisdom is found only in God, would that change who you think is wise?

 

 

A Prayer for Today

Lord it is so easy to come to rely on myself. To look to the things I have learned, to the knowledge I have gained. It is easy to rely on what I have come to believe is wisdom and then judge what I belive to be wise actions and who I believe to be wise by the standards of the knowledge I have. It is easy to find value in the things I want to know and understand. Help me to look to you for knowledge and understanding. Help me to value true wisdom, the wisdom I find by seeking after you, in living how you are calling me to live, in allowing you to shape and form all that I am into the image of Jesus Christ. Help me to seek you wisdom in all things at all times.  - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment