Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 55

 


Psalm 55:1-23

Key Verse: 55:6-7

“I wish I had wings like a dove, so I could fly far away and be at peace. I would go and live in some distant desert.” CEV

Sometimes, all that is going on in our life and in the world around us feels as if it is all too much for us to handle right now. We just want to fly away, leave all the hurt, all the pain, all the struggles, all that threatens to overwhelm behind.

When we want to run away we can tell God how we feel and all that it is what we want. Be honest with God. The Psalmist here lays it all out. He tells God all about his friend who betrayed him and how he feels over whelmed by his enemies and all those who are working against him.

This Psalm reads like a page out of the psalmist’s journal on which he lays out all that is bothering him, exactly how he feels and what he wishes would happen to his enemies. He is direct and honest with God throughout. The Psalmist then ends this psalm by saying, “I trust you, Lord!” The very act of telling God with all that we are thinking, all that we are feeling.

Being honest with God with even our rawest emotions and ugliest wishes is in itself an act of trust. When we are struggling and hurting, we should never be afraid to be completely honest with God about it all. God can hear it. God can handle our feelings, no matter how big they may be. God is not too thin skinned to hear our most venerable thoughts and feelings. Sharing it all with God should never feel like an act of unfaithfulness, but is instead just the opposite and act of faith and trust.

 

  

 

 

Things to Think on

What is bothering you right now?

Write it all out.

What do you want to do? What do you wish would happen? Be honest

Write that all out.

Look at what you wrote, tell God everything. Be honest with God. Trust God with it all.

 

 

A Prayer for Today

Oh Lord, my God, I am tired. I don’t wanna right now. I want to go to a nice place, a quiet place. I want to live in a world where there is no violence, no threatening illness. I want to live in a world where everyone feels safe, feels at home within themselves. I want to go to a place where everyone is treated fairly and justly at all times. I want to go where I feel I can trust all those in charge. Today, I don’t want to live here. I want those who do harm to be stopped to be brought to justice. I want all the harm to erased. Take away the systems which do harm. Change the rules so they can be fair and unjust for everyone. Lord, I know you can bring redemption to all things. None of this is bigger than you. I trust you. Help me to trust you more.   - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment