Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 52

 

Psalm 52:1-9

Key Verses:52:8-9

“But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God. I will always trust in God’s unfailing love. I will praise you forever, O God, for what you have done. I will trust in your good name in the presence of your faithful people.” NLT

I am really bad at thank you notes. I like to thank people personally. I understand the need for them following a wedding or some other occasion when there are a lot of gifts and a lot of guests. When I do this I try to say something personal to each person and not use a script in which I just fill in the person’s name and the gift they gave me. I still feel like I am a mass producing thank you machine, doing what is expected of me by my culture and not truly expressing gratefulness in another’s thoughtfulness and generosity.  When I have given a gift and that gift is thankfully received and pleasure is expressed in the moment, I find that a more satisfying form of gratefulness than a card sent at a later date. How ever we express our thankfulness to God, whether it be through journal writing, thankfulness in the moment or as a part of our prayer life, thankfulness to God should always be a part of our lives. There are so many things for which we can be thankful. There are so many ways God is moving in our lives right now. Being thankful yet another day on this earth, for the beauty in a bird song heard at first morning light or for the ways we get to continually grow and flourish in our relationships with God, all things to be thankful for. God is good and the goodness of God is readily apparent all around us.

 

 

Things to Think on

How has God worked for your good this week?

In what ways have you seen God in the small beauty and pleasures you.

What is the best way you can express your thankfulness and gratefulness to God, through song, through prayer, writing God a note, by journaling. Take time to express your gratitude to God today.

 

 

A Prayer for Today

Thank you God for the ways your loving kindness is extended to me. Thank you for the small blessings in my life; for the beauty that I can see in nature, for they ways you teach me and help me to learn and grow. Thank you for the Christian people who surround me, who support me, and encourage me and help me to become the person you are calling me to be. Thank you for this Psalm for how you speak to me through scripture. I am grateful for all the ways you allow me to see you and know you throughout my day. - Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment