Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 61

 

Psalm 61:1-8

Key Verse: 61:1-4

“God, listen to my cry; pay attention to my prayer! When my heart is weak, I cry out to you from the very ends of the earth. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I am because you have been my refuge, a tower of strength in the face of the enemy. Please let me live in your tent forever! Please let me take refuge in the shelter of your wings! Selah” CEB

Pay attention! Listen to me! See me! These are words we should dare say to God. Come to God with boldness, asking to be seen, asking to be heard. In this world which is blind to each individual. Where all too often we go unseen and our voices are not truly heard. We can dare to scream out to God, demanding to be seen, demanding to be heard; knowing that within God a place of refuge, safety and strength can be found. We do not want to living in shelters we have made with our own hands. The places we make for ourselves are not strong, they are not safe. But instead of dwelling in any place we might find for ourselves or make for ourselves, we find rest in God, we want to live, to dwell to reside in the place God makes for us. We call to God in boldness, in desperation, in our hurt, in our fear, with all the depth our emotion. God sees us, God hears us and the wing of God stretches out over us, and covers us, draws us in and God is our dwelling place and our protection.

 

 

 

Things to Think on

 

What do you dare to say to God today?

In what ways to you feel unseen and unheard in your life, by the world, by those around you?

What would it mean for you to find shelter with God today?

What would it mean for you to dwell in God’s tent not just in this moment, or for a day, but forever?

 

A Prayer for Today

Oh Lord, my God. I know you see me. I know you hear me. I may walk through this day and not really be seen by those who pass me by. As I speak, what I say might fall on deaf ears. I many to be truly heard by anyone with whom I interact. My voice is lost in the crowd, my cries are a part of the din of the streets, my tears are a part of the continually moving backdrop of pain and sorrow in this world. But you see me, you hear me. No place I might turn for shelter an protection can hold me, or give me what I need. Let me find that in you, not just right now when I am raw, not just for today when I need your strength so desperately, but each and every day. Let me rest beneath your wing, knowing your care and comfort in all things at all times. Be my God, be my peace, be my strength. Shelter me. – Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment