Monday, January 11, 2021

Manna for Today: Psalm 69

 


Psalm 69:1-36

Key Verse: 1-2

“Save me, God! I am about to drown. I am sinking deep in the mud, and my feet are slipping. I am about to be swept under by a mighty flood. I am worn out from crying, and my throat is dry. I have waited for you till my eyes are blurred.” CEV

Have you ever felt as if you were just going to drown under the weight of it all? It is too much. Everything weighs so heavily that you are unable to lift your feet to move in one direction or another. Have you have cried so much there are no more tears to be cried. Have you ever seen a babies sock, lost on a wet windy day, now seen laying on the sidewalk having been baked in the summer sun? You see it and you think to yourself that is how I feel. I was about to drown and now I am dried out and lost to all good purposes. Have you ever called out to God and called out to God and felt as if God was choosing not to hear your cries, does not see your pain, your hurt? You are a drift at sea in the midst of the chaos of your life, being carried away by the currents of the world around you. Soon you will be crushed against the rocks.

There are time when it is all too much. There are times when God seems silent, when God feels far away, when it is as if God cannot, does not, will not hear you and turns away from seeing you. Even when God seems deaf, and dumb, unmoved and unseeing, we are to give praise to God. Even in the midst of the chaos, the pain the sorrow, we can see God at work in the world, in our lives, bringing beauty where there seems to be nothing but ugliness, kindness when we are adrift in a sea of hatred, redemption and salvation, when there seems to be nothing left which is can be saved or redeemed. God is  at work and worthy of our worship and praise. Even today, in the midst of all that is going on in each of our lives, in our country and our world. God is here at work, bringing salvation and redemption. And today we give God the glory and the praise.

Things to Think on

What is one place of beauty in your life today?

Can you bring to mind one thing that made you smile yesterday?

Thank God for these things.

How is God at work in your life today, yesterday? Can you see God’s work of redemption and salvation in the world today?

When it all seems too much do this, remember the goodness, think on the beauty and thank God for these things.

A Prayer for Today

I am drift today. I see chaos and destruction all around. I feel as if I might drown. I look around and say, “It is too much.” Lord, I feel so far from your justice, your righteousness, your goodness, your light. As I sit here sinking down, down, down. Show let me see the ways you are at work. Let me see the flower blooming in the dry and rocky place. Let me see the rainbow in the storm. Let me see you at work today bringing redemption and salvation, in places I had not yet thought to look. Let me find the strength to praise you today. Show me one reason to give you glory, so that I might give you the adoration you deserve, so I can be reminded in the midst of it all that you are and always remain a good God. – Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment