Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Manna for Today: Psalm 63

 


Psalm 63:1-11

Key Verse: 63:1-2

“God! My God! It’s you—I search for you! My whole being thirsts for you! My body desires you in a dry and tired land, no water anywhere.” CEB

 When was the last time you were truly desperate for the things of God? When you woke up this morning were you longing to spend time in prayer. Do you thirst to hear the voice of God speak into your life. When you do come to your quiet time with God do you walk away satisfied as you might following a hearty meal? Does the voice of God speaking into your life quench something deep within you? When fostering a dependence on God, pulling away from time spent in the presence of God should feel like fasting. Listening to God, hearing God’s voice, immersing oneself in the presence of God is not an accessory to life, something from which a believe can easily opt out of. These are the food and water in the life of a believer. Skipping out on scripture reading, prayer, talking and listening to God is like skipping meals. You can skip one but doing so for any length of time results in starvation and eventually death. Partake of God as you partake of food and water, do so daily. We come to the feast that is the presence of God, because a good meal is enjoyable does bring pleasure and joy, but also because God’s presence is the nourishment which gives life and sustains us from day to day.

 

Things to Think on

 What would it mean for your to truly hunger and thirst for the presence of God?

How easy is it for you to skip spending time with God on any given day?

Does skipping your prayer time, your scripture reading time, your quiet time listening to God affect your day at all?

How does it affect your life when you skip this time regularly?

What does it mean for God’s presence to be a hearty meal, a feast full of rich food?

A Prayer for Today

Lord, I want to hunger and thirst for you. I want to find that when I avoid you, I am parched, I am empty inside. Let me long for you. You are the food which feeds my spiritual being. You fill me with all that I need. With you I am satisfied. When I am away from you leave me empty, allow me to feel the hunger pains as one who is not eating. Let me come to you not just once a day but throughout the day, as I do for nourishment. Let me find the sustenance I need to make it through each day in you. You are my God and in you alone will I rely.  – Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment