Thursday, May 10, 2018

Heavenly Citizenship: Daily Devotions for the Easter Season - May 10, 2018


Heavenly Citizenship 
Philippians 3:12-4:1
Key Verse: But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ (Philippians 3:20)

What does it mean to have citizenship in a particular country? There are rights and privileges that are afforded citizens that are not afforded to others. There are also responsibilities. It also requires a certain amount of loyalty. If you are a citizen of a particular country, and then do something to help a foreign government move against your country, that is called treason. For many countries if you are a citizen in one country and become a citizen in another, you must then renounce your allegiance to the other country and pledge your allegiance to the new country in which you now hold citizenship. So what does it mean to be a citizen of heaven? As Christians, where do our loyalties lie. What do we owe the “country” in which we hold citizenship? What does this mean for our loyalties not only to this world but to the country in which we reside and currently hold citizenship? How does our loyalty to heaven affect our loyalty to our own countries? How does thinking about our relationship with Christ as a citizenship in Heaven change our understanding of the Christian life?

Prayer:
Lord, I pledge my allegiance to you, over all other things. I am not a citizen of this world, but a temporary resident. I live here, I work here, but I do not belong here. Help me to see heaven as the place I belong.  I desire to be loyal to heaven and all she stands for over an above any loyalty I might have to any country or institution on earth. Help me to live into my heavenly citizenship daily, aligning who I am with her values and who she is calling me to be. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment